Thursday, May 20, 2010

What Would Your Special Treat Be?

The other day I asked Ethan what he wanted to take for his 'special treat' for class to celebrate his birthday. I asked him if he wanted Spiderman cupcakes, or maybe Iron Man.. you know what he says? I want crackers and cheese, mom.

I thought about this for a moment, a very brief moment, and I quickly remind him, no, this is a special treat so he can get something better... like cupcakes. He says he doesn't want that, he wants crackers and cheese.

I proceed to tell him he can have crackers anytime, and that he should pick out something special, like cupcakes or cookies - because I am certain he will be vastly disappointed in himself if he doesn't pick out something sweet for his treat, that maybe he'll be devastated when the kids laugh at what he picked out. After all, I was concerned for his well-being (not at all was I severely bummed at the fact I might not get a cupcake, nope, not at all).

So, I ask him one last time... are you sure you don't want a special treat to take to your class. Ethan sighs, looks me straight in the eyes, and says "it will be special mom, I want spray cheese." Oh, well I suppose that does make it special.

This morning as we got ready for school I held my breath still in doubt that he would be excited to take his box of crackers and cheese, even if it was spray cheese. I was certain we would have to make a last minute stop at Kroger to pick something cool up, but he was still excited.

Nothing amazed me more than when he came home still excited and how he kept talking about how everyone loved his special treat and that they had to pile on a bunch of cheese just on his cracker so they could get a birthday candle to stand up on it and they sang him happy birthday and it was totally awesome.

Once again, Ethan showed me that not everyone has the same idea for a special treat. And while, I couldn't imagine a 'treat' without at least a hint of chocolate or sweetness, he was perfectly content and even excited about some processed spray cheese on a cracker.

If there is a lesson to be learned here - stop trying to live your childhood dreams through your children and just let them eat crackers if they want. You'll be happy you did.



1 comment:

Sandra said...

Crackers and cheese? I would have been putting it in his backpack very quickly before he could change his mind! lol