Thursday, April 29, 2010

On Wings of Angels..

I already have my first dramatic experience to share with you!!

My husband and I enjoy taking long walks and have tried to instill this love in our oldest son, Ethan. He usually prefers to ride his bike, but that's been good for us - because it forces us to pick up the pace - so we usually agree to let him.

Tonight my family decided to try and enjoy the wonderful spring afternoon by taking a stroll around our neighborhood. Key word here "try". My youngest son, Lucas has yet to obtain a love for a walk, a ride, or anything else that may involve his car seat and/or stroller. On occasion he will cooperate and ride, but it's only happened a handful of times. Usually, it's a disaster. But.. we keep trying anyway.

So, we get approximately 20 feet from the house - and Lucas starts to fuss. I really, really want to go for this walk (I'll be honest, I just wanted to do something other than walk around my house saying "shh, shh, shh.."). So I started to pick up the pace so I was at a slow jog - quite frankly, I still have some baby weight to lose so a job wasn't necessarily a bad thing. He quiets down so I continue. My husband and Ethan are not far behind. They ask why I am running ahead and I explain that my time with Lucas being content is limited and I must keep moving at all costs.

We get just shy of the half-way mark, and then it happens. Lucas decides he's done (amazing how he knows to do this at the half-way mark where it doesn't matter which way I go it's going to take forever to get back), and he screams. He doesn't cry that cute, I'm tired baby cry - no he screams bloody murder in all efforts to tell you he is extremely pissed that you chose to take him on this walk something he is certain he has told you countless times before he does NOT want to do. I pick up the pace to a faster jog - he gets louder. I stop and try the pacifier - the one he has yet to take. No luck, now he's louder because I stopped. Ok, he's holding his breath - here we go.

I pick him up and try desperately to cover his face with a blanket because the weather I thought was so wonderful was all of a sudden too cold and windy for my newborn. The blanket keeps blowing off, so I have to hold it tight. I have him wrapped up and I start to walk back home pushing the empty stroller.

My husband explains to Ethan we have to go back this way because it might be 3 steps shorter than the other way home to get Lucas back. Lucas is screaming as hard as he can and I can only imagine what the neighbors think I'm doing to him.

Ethan keeps running into the back of my legs. I try to walk faster to get ahead of him and to just get home quicker. I see Ethan out of the corner of my eye and turn to look at him - just then, I stepped on some uneven pavement. I twist my ankle and stumble... and then I fall forward. What happens next I can only imagine looks like someone headed towards their ultimate fate of kissing the pavement - only I'm holding my baby, VERY tightly now. Instantly I envision myself either landing on Lucas crushing him to death or bashing my head into the pavement in efforts to protect him from any impact. I take at least 10 steps in a forward propulsion until I finally regain my composure. I'm not sure how exactly, but I stayed on my feet.

I'm sure that if I said an angel must have caught us you would think I was crazy, but if you had seen it... well, I'm just saying.

So, there you have it - just my first example of what a day in the life of me can hold.

PS - If any of my neighbors saw this horrific event, thank-you for not laughing at how retarded I must have looked trying to regain my balance!

No comments: