Saturday, May 1, 2010

Just Another Day at the Park

Yesterday, I decided to join a friend at the park with the kids. It was going to be beautful outside and I couldn't wait for some fresh air.

The morning had been rough. Lucas was extremely fussy and inconsolable - something that is pretty norm for the early evening hours. The fact we were starting our day out this way was concerning. So, I was hoping the change of scenery and some fresh air might help ease his discomfort. I was wrong.

We arrived at the park Lucas screaming in tow. I got him out of the van, put him in his stroller and he screamed louder. I got Ethan out of his seat, grabbed the diaper bag, my purse, the fast food we decided to pick up on the way, and a spare bag with a few extras - like a blanket to sit in the shade, sunblock, etc..

By this time, Lucas was purple in the face and pulling his usual 'get me out of this carseat' tantrum. We quickly walked up to the eating area and I began unbuckling Lucas. At this point, he is dripping with sweat from screaming, purple and I'm certain he has broken another blood vessel. My friend is concerned and asks if he is always like this, to which I reply "quite a bit..". After 20 minutes of screaming for which I can't seem to reduce at all I tell her this is worse than it's been in awhile. I am pacing with him, doing the infamous 'bounce' and try to eat my sandwhich with one hand while leaning backwards to keep Lucas from falling over or his neck snapping. 4 bites later, my sandwhich is gone and I decide the fries aren't even worth it. I'm pacing, bouncing and now singing when my phone rings - that call doesn't go well so I tell them I will call back (which reminds me, I still need to do that too...).

Finally, after what seems to be forever, he calms. In the meantime, Ethan tells me he has already finished all of his lunch, which my friend was so gracious to help him get setup while I was occupied. The kids wanna play, so we pack up and walk to the playground.

The sun is beaming, which I normally would be very excited about, but instead I'm concerned because Lucas can't wear sunblock yet. It's hot out and covering him with a blanket was about impossible with the 'wonderful' summer breeze we were experiencing not to mention it would cook him alive. I go back and forth from the shade to the swings located dead in the sun to push Ethan. Lucas is screaming again and people are now watching me. I chuckle and say sarcastically, "they sure make this look easy on that Surviving Motherhood show..their kids all just sit and smile"..hoping they can't tell that I am overwhelmed and my nerves are shot and all I can think about is something to drink that might take the edge off...

My friend and I decide that it is too hard to watch the older boys carrying the babies around and pushing the strollers through the bark everywhere to try to see them so we decide to go across the street to play on the "bigger kid" toys. We setup camp under a tree for some shade and let the older boys run free. They argue - a little - and then they go about their way, each of us praying neither of them run off too far.

Of course, Ethan, my fearless child, decides he's going to do the monkey bars intended for 13-year olds. He climbs up, grabs the first bar and actually swings himself to the next bar.. this would be excited, EXCEPT I am sitting 200 yards away trying to feed a fussy baby when I see that he can't make it to the next bar. Of course, he could jump down..but it's WAY up high because it's not intended for my 4-year old..so he won't jump. He's not facing me, but I can see the fear in his eyes. I drop the bottle, jump up with Lucas and take off going as quickly as possible trying to avoid the mishap from the other night... I have no idea how, but he kept hanging on..and hanging on..and hanging on. I grab him with my 'free' arm and set him down. At this point, it hits him how much he was afraid I would never come (remember he couldn't see me) and starts to bawl from embarrassment, the fear and more emotion than a 4 year old should go through at one time.. my poor baby.

We walk back to the tree and tell my friend, I think I'm done for today. It's been a wonderful (miserable) day. I can't wait (totally lying to her) to do this again..(she of course knows I'm lying so it's okay).

So, one more crazy trip under my belt. Gotta love being a mom of two, gotta love nothing going right EVER and most of all gotta love knowing that tomorrow I will get to do this all over again. LOVE IT :)

No comments: