Thursday, May 20, 2010

Somethings We Will Never Understand..

What's so special about this statue you ask? Truth is, I have absolutely no idea.

I couldn't even tell you where it came from or why I still have it. I'm pretty sure it was one of those things a family member decided they didn't want to store anymore so they passed it onto my family to add to those other things that sit in the basement.. until it finally makes its way to the garage sale table.. just like this one did this year.

So while I am walking Lucas around putting some finishing touches on our garage sale tables, he nearly jumps from my arms - no joke, he lunges. I gasp, grab ahold of him and look down to see him making the strangest face. And then he 'speaks'. Of course, he has no words, but you would have thought he did the way he began going on a tangent about what, I have no idea. He coo'd, and he squealed and then he babbled and babbled. I've never seen him do this before, nor since. I'm searching everywhere to figure out what prompted my 4 month old to start talking like he was with an old friend, and it's this statue. At first, I tell myself that's not possible and ask John to come over because I'm certain I've lost my mind so he can observe. I pick up the statue and Lucas goes crazy.. I've never seen anything like it. It's funny, because he doesn't even know who "Santa" is yet.. but he seems very comfortable telling him what he wanted for Christmas, or at least I'm assuming that is what he was telling him.

I bleached the wooden Santa and Lucas proceeded to talk to him for 10 minutes at various times throughout the day. At the end of the day, I hestitated whether I should put him in the donate box or back in the basement... I put him in the box. Some are amazed I didn't want to hold onto him, but truth was he was wooden, probably covered in lead paint and way to heavy for him to hold. The last thing I need to do was take things BACK to the basement.

But, I won't forget this statue. I won't forget the look on Lucas' face. And I will always wonder what it was about this statue that no one wanted for $.50 that prompted the conversation of a 4 month old.

No comments: