Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

willy wonka Pictures, Images and Photos
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a.k.a Willy Wonka. By far NOT the greatest movie ever created. I'll be the first to admit it. It kinda sucks. But I still love it and have the majority of it memorized.

For those of you who don't me very personally (which is most of you), my mother and I don't get along. We never have. I doubt we ever will. And while my boys have done wonders in creating a relationship that pretty much didn't exist before them, it's certainly nothing to write home about.

I can't really share all the things she did when I was growing up or what she does today that makes me despise the woman, because I have readers that know her. And Lord help me if she ever got ahold of my blog. As much as she already knows we have absolutely NOTHING in common, I'm not trying to hurt her either. So, I'll be polite. Let's just say thanks to her that I grew up knowing exactly what kind of mother I would NEVER be to my kids.

One summer I was riding my bike around the neighborhood by myself (because you could do those sort of things back then!). There was a dog I'd never seen before that started chasing me. Then it started barking and biting at my ankles. I was freaking out and trying to kick the dog off my pant leg. But, he wouldn't let go. And then I crashed into a fence. The metal fence went right through my knee. I was bleeding everywhere. He finally left me alone and I walked my bike home, limping.

Usually, this type of thing would have resulted in a lecture from my mom and I would have been quickly dismissed so she could go back to studying her Bible... but this time, she actually showed sympathy. She was careful as she poured Peroxide into my wound. She made me a comfy "bed" on the couch. And then she rented me Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I must have watched that movie 5 times. And it was then the movie got "filed" under "Good Memories" in my mind.

I realize my mother surely had other motherly moments when she comforted me or supported me. I just can't think of any.

So no matter how dumb the movie truly is, it has a special place in my heart and always will. I will probably never forget the majority of the lines. And I can only hope that my children will have similar fond memories of me comforting them in those times they needed me to. Because that's what being a mom is all about..being motherly :)

This post was inspired by MamaKat's Writer's Workshop. You can join in yourself anytime by clicking here:

Mama's Losin' It

5 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

Sweet memory, no matter how you got there. So sorry that you and your Mom don't get along. That makes me sad, because I couldn't imagine not having my Mom as my friend. However, GOOD for you for learning from that and working to be a better mother to your own kids.

Tabitha Blue said...

What a perfectly wonderful memory... besides the pain and bleeding of course. It's good that you remember the GOOD. I hope that's what my kids remember about me, the good moments, and completely forget the ugly ones. :) I think it's awesome that we can not only learn from our mistakes, but from someone else's and be better for it. Go mama.

Anonymous said...

Great movie; good memories! Glad that you are able to move past your history with your mom to make things ever so much better for your own boys!

Emily said...

I actually loved that movie as a child. I am old enough that I watched it the once a year it came on t.v. My favorite part is when the kids lick the fruity wallpaper! That movie is every kids dream and I was disappointed in the remake. I haven't shared it yet with my son, as he is just turning four and it is a little psychedelic!

I am sorry though, how your love of that movie came to be. I have the opposite problem with my mom, we are more distant now that I have grown up. I have chronic illness and I am no longer her perfect daughter. It's hard when you wonder if your mother loves you.

Jenny said...

I'm not fond of the old version but the new one totally rocks :) Burton is a master with stuff like that. I just wish he'd skipped his "sweeny todd" project and done Harry Potter when they asked him to. :( 'Cause seriously, ST was a joke...