Friday, July 16, 2010

Ice Cream

I couldn’t think of a better title for this post. I mean, after all, doesn’t ice cream say it all? Ice cream is one of those treats that becomes an event all in itself. We happen to like it a lot at our house, especially on hot, summer days like today. After Lucas went down for his afternoon nap, Ethan and I decided to dive into a newly created tradition we’ve started in the recent weeks – eating ice cream outside. We started out with cones, but Ethan has since decided that he gets more if he gets it in a bowl. Little does he know I still give him the exact same amount – but he thinks he’s outsmarted me so I let him believe what he wants :)


Today it was a sticky 90 degrees plus out, and we couldn’t wait for Lucas to fall asleep. Once he did, we ran like little kids (wait, Ethan is a little kid..I guess it was me being silly!) to the freezer to make our dessert we waited for all day. Ethan decided today we should try one scoop of Superman ice cream and one scoop Cookie Dough ice cream. He thought this would be an excellent combination. I thought it to be a little weird, but hey, gotta live on the wild side anyway I can these days, lol.

So, we made our bowls of ice cream and ran outside, hoping to finish before Lucas woke (his naps can be anywhere from 3 minutes to 3 hours, your guess is as good as ours how long it will be so we have to hurry, just in case!). We found the perfect spot to plop on the ground - we didn’t bother with a blanket or chairs – like I said, we were in a hurry and we get serious about our ice cream..



It wasn’t but a few moments and our frozen treat was more like a cold soup.


It still tasted yummy though…





Ethan was so excited his combination was a success. He remained very focused to make sure he got every last drop of that delectable soup!



 
Oh, and on a side note – can I just say that I realized today was July 15th… which means July is HALF over, which means Summer is HALF over. I can’t say I’m very happy about that at all. I love our ice cream “dates” and the warmth of the sun, and waterpark adventures like the one we had yesterday.




I love being able to go outside for hours on end and playing football and basketball and baseball with my boys. I am so not looking forward to the cold, or the snow, or being “trapped” inside a house all day. Michigan winters…ugh. It’s coming people, so enjoy every moment of warmth you can this summer before you know it it’ll be gone!

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Sunday is National Ice Cream Day! Put in place by President Reagan! Awesome! We will be celebrating it for sure.

New Follower and BFF
Peaceful wishes,
Melissa
http://thecutestchaos.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I LOVE ice cream too. My son's favorite is ice cream sandwiches. He could eat them by the box full if his mean ol' mom would let him. :) Me? I can eat ice cream in just about any form you want to dish it out.

Victoria said...

such a great summery post!

thanks for visiting, I'm following you back :)

-Victoria
http://www.adventuresinmommyhood.net

liz barber said...

That's so great how you're creating special memories with your son- especially the icecream on a hot summer day!

Really enjoyed reading your post!

Farah Jasmine said...

Nothing better than ice cream on a hot day when you're enduring a hot Midwestern summer! It's so much fun! How do you love being a mom to two boys?

Eileen & Karena said...

I agree about the heat. I'd rather have it than shovel 2 feet of snow.
They look like they are having lots of fun this summer.
I found you thru the BF Follow Friday. I will be hosting something similar on tuesday called "Tag along Tuesday" I hope you will join me in my BF Community. http://theblogfrog.com/1364090

Eileen said...

oops wrong account ...no blog there!

Phyllis Goldberg said...

We weren't so generous with treats when our kids were young - eat healthy and all. But now, with our 5 grandsons, there's rarely a meal that doesn't end with ice cream for dessert.

Gina said...

That honestly sounds like the absolute grossest combination of ice cream ever. But kids will be kids, eh?

Tabitha Blue said...

Such a perfect summertime tradition.. running outside for a bowl of ice cream... especially with not knowing how long Lucas will sleep!! We had such a great time at the water park. Can't wait to do it again!
:)

~Tabitha

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

Found you through Blog Frog ... had to comment because it seems like we're leading parallel lives :] I have 2 boys, too, 4 and 1 years old. I stay at home, too, and yup my life is pretty crazy too! Bookmarking your blog!

Cori said...

Yummmmmy ice cream! Those photos are so great!! Wonderful post!