Wednesday, October 6, 2010

8 Months? Really? How Did That Happen?!?


My baby boy turned eight months old this week. It’s funny how six months still sounded so “baby” and seven months sounded so “older baby,” but eight months? That just sounds so “almost one..” it scares me a little.

I remember the day we “met” like it was yesterday. I remember thinking “Oh, my God! He’s adorable!” and crying because I was just so excited to finally be able to see him, hold him, and know that he was okay. He was so perfect! And I was never gonna be prego again, woo hoo!!





It’s been a long trek since then. Between the severe acid reflux beginning in the hospital, trying different medicines to fix the reflux, failed breastfeeding, trying 12 different formulas to find one he could keep down, trying a millions things to make him go poop, testing him for pyloric stenosis, giving him probiotics and mylicon hoping to make him feel better, the constant screaming and kicking tantrums , the torturous screaming in EVERY car ride and the refusal to nap you’d think I would look back on these last 8 months as misery….but I don’t. It’s amazing how just like the pain of delivery, there are some things God helps you to “forget” and you remember the good things.

Good things, like all the itty-bitty adorable baby clothes he only got to wear once because he was 9lbs at birth. I remember when he could wear one-piece sleepers but now his feet are too big to ever fit in the size he needs. I remember being able to tote him around in the carry car-seat, and now I have to wake him up when he falls asleep in the car to go into the store or drop his brother off at preschool. I remember holding him for hours so he could sleep, and now my arms ache because he weighs 20lbs and he’s way too long to “bundle” in my arms and his legs just dangle when we try to rock! I remember when we could just pack bottles for our outings, and now I have to make sure I have pears, mixed veggies, spoons, bibs, and puffs. God forbid I forget the puffs! I remember when I could just lay him on the floor, run to grab something and know that he would still be laying there, now he’s crawling all over the place and climbing on things. I remember being able to go to the bathroom and he could lay on the floor, now I refuse to even try unless he’s napping because he tries to climb into the tub, climb up the curtain, get into the cupboards…

My point is this. Things have changed so much in “just” 8 months. And while I’m excited to leave some things, like the colic, behind us more quickly than not, I’m so not ready for him to become a toddler. Time seems to be slipping through my fingers and if there is anything I don’t like it’s not being able to control something. Maybe because this is my second I know first-hand how fast 4 YEARS can fly by, or maybe it’s because I know we will not have any more children, but I find myself rocking my baby boy begging God to make time stand still. I'm whispering over and over and over how much I love him. Man, I don't want my babies to grow up...not yet.

I don't know if I'm going through a phase or if it's just sinking in more and more that I can't hold onto these boys forever, but I've been super-sentimental lately. I'm trying to slow my pace down. I always seem to be in a hurry and worrying about the next thing I need to get done. I've never let dirty dishes sit in my sink this long. I've never left the house without makeup before...but I'm learning it's ok. Good friends will understand if the house isn't perfect when they get here. And who gives a flying hoot about makeup when you're going to Wal-mart? After all, who am I trying to impress? And..have you seen some of the people in Wal-mart? Surely, I still look better than some of those people, even without makeup!

I guess my theme lately is definitely love your littles. Hold them tight before they start to think it's "uncool" and ask you to kiss them on the cheek. Sing them songs, even if you suck. Rub their backs, stroke their hair. Cuddle. Sit down, put the phone down, and watch the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse WITH them, not next to them. Because before you know it, they are gonna wanna cuddle with someone else..in the basement.. oh God. And they will wanna go to the mall with their friends, without you. They will wanna go to parties where peanuts are no longer my fear but alcohol.. Seriously, God, can we just not go there? I'm not sure if this mama can handle all that stress!

The first 6 months seemed to drag with the colic, but these last 2 months have flown by like seconds on a stopwatch. I can't believe how much you've grown and how much you've changed me, Lucas. I love you more than you will ever know. Happy 8 months, baby boy.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is absolutely one of the cutest little guys!
Doesn't time just fly by entirely too quickly? My son will be 2 in 4 months. 4 Months! AHH!

Jamie said...

I've been super sentimental lately too. Maybe it's the chasing of the seasons? I've been crying a couple of times a week when I rock the little one to sleep.

Like you, I struggle with how fast time goes and I'm always working hard to make sure I'm savoring every minute. My oldest "baby" is 10 this year and it seems like just a heartbeat ago that she was a newborn.

Spokenfor said...

they do grow up so fast! I jokingly tell my "baby" (he's 5 now! omg!) that I refuse to let him grown up and he just needs to stop right where he's at! As the mother of 5 with one in college I can attest to just how time can slip through our hands. check out this link, I think you will be able to identify with it!
blessings,
Spokenfor
http://spokenforsbigadventure.blogspot.com/2010/08/yes-i-do-happen-to-know-way-to-sesame.html