Tuesday, October 5, 2010
It Ain't Exactly Broccoli in a Jar
So, if you follow me on Twitter you know that I was having a seductive affair with Nutella. No, it's not a codename for a hot guy.. although that would have made for a much more interesting post, I'm sure. (PS: If you don't follow me on Twitter, why the freak not? I can be really funny..sometimes...on occassion...ok, it's hit or miss, but still..)
I really mean Nutella, the hazelnut spread. I had a jar in my cupboard for 6 months that my mother-in-law had bought for us to try since Ethan is allergic to peanut butter. I'll be honest. It didn't appeal to me. So, it stayed in the cupboard, right where I put it the day she brought it over.
If you follow my blog, you know that I'm a recently self-made SAHM and we are little more financially-challenged than we used to be. For example, I have a pantry. I used to fill this pantry each week grocery shopping with snacks, canned goods, basically anything of convenience my little heart desired. Recently, I've decided that I need to use every single one of those cans before they expire and until I empty that pantry, I'm not going to buy anything else to put in it. That's how I got to the Nutella. It was either time to try it, or throw it out and tell my MIL I tried it. What a pleasant surprise to find this delectable treat!
No one else seemed as excited as I did about "healthy" chocolate! I found it was awesome on graham crackers. And if you melted a marshmallow along with it...s'mores anyone?!. It was good for dipping animal crackers. And it was great just out of the jar. I was in love. I finished the jar two days later, virtually by myself.
The next grocery trip I bought a bigger can. Certain everyone was going to join me in my new-found love and we would all sit around and eat spoonfuls of Nutella together - because after all, what more is there to life, right? *cough,cough..totally being sarcastic!!*
Well, I'm not going to tell you when I finished that jar. Let's just say the family size container didn't have a fighting chance during the particular week I bought it...anyone hear of a monthly chocolate craving?? So, I finished it. Yes, "I", as in me, myself and me..? Anyways..
I decided I might wanna take a look at this stuff I was eating to see just how healthy it was. Come to find out..um, yeah.. not so much. Let me show you. I'm going to give you a comparison chart between Nutella and a jar of Chocolate Frosting. You be the judge:
As you can see, Nutella isn't exactly broccoli in a jar. Far from it. I'm not sure how many tablespoons are in a jar, but I'm quite sure I ate about 10lbs worth. Good God! So, let me summarize for you.
If you are having a chocolate craving, go for the frosting at $1.65 a jar versus the Nutella for $6.26 a jar because you ain't eating healthy despite the "nut" reference. And for the record, me and Nutella broke up. He was a habit I just couldn't afford to have anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hahaha, well... I happen to love Nutella too!! Though our jars do last quite awhile, we tend to dip in there every once in awhile :)
dropping by from SITS- and i love how you just wrote a post promoting eating frosting from the can. simply awesome!
Post a Comment