When I was in sixth grade (yes, that was a VERY long time ago), my teacher, Mrs. Coates (who to this day is still my favorite teacher) encouraged us to write. She had us create journals that we had to write in often. Usually, there was a posted topic and we were required to write for say 30 minutes about that topic. Every so often though, we had what she used to call Open Write, or Free Day where we got to write about whatever we wanted to talk about.
I used to live for Open Write day. While other kids dreaded writing altogether and especially having to come up with a topic on their own, I couldn't get enough of those days. I would fill page after page of whatever was consuming my mind at that time. It's funny, to "pass" you had to complete 1 paragraph... I couldn't usually contain myself to one legal size page.
As part of our journal process, Mrs. Coates would take the time to read all of our entries and make comments. Sometimes, it would be something simple as "Nice Job" and a smiley face, but other times she would write things much deeper, more personal, like "Wow, that must have been hard to go through. I know you will turn things around for good." She was a motivator - whether she knew it or not, she helped me find a love that has stuck with me ever since.
Writing in a journal can be therapeutic, but that doesn't mean only sad or troubled people need to keep one. And, believe it or not, they aren't just for kids. Blogging, I've found, has quickly become the journaling I have so deeply missed over the last 20 years. My love for writing and the release that's felt for putting emotions on paper has quickly returned. I am already sleeping better at night.
At this point, I don't have many followers, and that's okay, because some day I will. And when they join, they may start with Open Write - Part 397... but I plan on doing a lot of Open Writes - the days where I won't write necessarily about any specific topic, and I may or may not have any pictures to go with the story - but I will just write. I will write until I can't think of anything else to write. The thoughts may be scattered and unorganized, but so is life at times. The thoughts might be deeply emotional or they may seem almost superficial. The thoughts might be interesting to read, or they may not. It doesn't matter because I will just write until I feel at peace.
This is my definition of Open Write. I'll probably start my Open Write - Part 1 tonight, but won't finish until tomorrow. I anticipate my first one to be quite lengthy and possible a tough read, but I know I will feel much better after I write it and for that I simply cannot wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment