Thursday, August 26, 2010

300 Channels and Still Nothing to Watch

I always said that I wouldn't let my kids watch a bunch of tv. When I worked, Ethan was only allowed one show every morning and never saw tv for the rest of the day. Very seldom was it turned on at all on the weekends. He was only allowed to watch On Demand and until this year had no idea what a commercial was. Yeah for me, right?

Well, now that I'm home all day everyday.. well, lets just say I'm a 'bit more flexible.' It started off by watching a few more shows everyday, but still only On Demand. Then, in an effort to save money, we lowered our cable bill and got rid of On Demand. At first, I thought he would be devastated not having Caillou at his fingertips. Come to find out he didn't miss a beat, it was me that's become devastated.

Ever notice how you can have 300 channels and still have nothing to watch? I've always felt this way and it's probably the reason I got used to using On Demand (plus the lack of commercials). But what I can't figure out for the life of me are channels like Disney not being able to schedule at least a variety of shows - shows I know they create. Let me give you an example. Here's today's schedule of shows:

9:00 am - Phineas and Ferb
9:30 - Phineas and Ferb
10:00 - Phineas and Ferb
10:30 - Phineas and Ferb
11:00 - Suite Life on Deck
11:30 - Suite Life on Deck
12:00p - Wizards of Waverly Place
12:30 - Wizards of Waverly Place
1:00 - Hannah Montana
1:30 - Hannah Montana
2:00 - Suite Life on Deck
2:30 - Suite Life on Deck
3:00 - Suite Life on Deck
3:30 - Suite Life on Deck
4:00 - Suite Life on Deck
4:30 - Suite Life on Deck
5:00 - Hannah Montana
5:30 - Sonny With a Chance
6:00 - Suite Life on Deck
6:30 - Phineas and Ferb
7:00 - Wizards of Waverly Place
7:30 - Hannah Montana
8:00 - Phineas and Ferb
8:30 - Phineas and Ferb
9:00-11:00 - The Incredibles (Cause I let my kids start movies at 9pm on a weekday..)
11:00 - Hannah Montana
11:30 - Hannah Montana
12:00a - Hannah Montana
12:30 - Hannah Montana
1:00 - Wizards of Waverly Place
1:30 - Wizards of Waverly Place
2:00 - Suite Life on Deck
2:30 - Suite Life on Deck
3:00 - Phineas and Ferb
3:30 - Phineas and Ferb
4:00 - Little Einsteins (cause that's when most preschoolers are up, you know?)
4:30 - Little Einsteins
5:00 - Jungle Junction
5:30 - Chuggington
6:00 - Imagination Movers
6:30 - Special Agent Oso
7:00 - Handy Manny
7:30 - Handy Manny
8:00 - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
8:30 - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse

Ok, so I realize I'm going a little detailed here, but my point is this: in 24 hours, how is it possible they felt the need to play Phineas and Ferb 9 times, Suite Life on Deck 11 times, and Hannah Montana 8 times?? Who thought 4 am was the best time to play “other” shows? Who made the executive decision that only kids 7 and up (what most of those shows are rated for) are the only ones watching television during the day? It’s almost as if they are saying, if you have a preschooler, we don’t want you as a viewer – please go to PBS Sprout or something. I just don’t get it.


And on the other channels? Yeah, that might as well be a freakin Spongebob marathon.

Long story short, my son’s favorite show is Phineas and Ferb because there isn’t anything else on. Anyone else find this extremely annoying? I feel like writing Disney and telling them what I think, realizing it won’t do a bit of good, but it might make me feel better.

3 comments:

citymouse said...

My 48 year old husband's favorite show is Phineas and Ferb. (That and the new Scooby Doo series.) I can't tell you how tired I am of Phineas and Ferb. I suppose it could be worse... it could be Hannah Montana!

Stopping by from SITS.

Allyson & Jere said...

Hey there, just popped over from SITS.

I totally agree, the programming is ridiculous on those stations.

Thankfully, my daughter likes Phineas and Ferb and I don't mind it. Then again, she likes pretty much anything, if it's a cartoon. I need to work on my TV watching. haha

Jill said...

Little Einsteins is my favorite for my 4 yo. Actually, we Tivo it & let him watch it when the other pre-teen stuff is on.