As many of you know, we were recently told my son had severe peanut allergies. I have mixed emotions about the whole "ordeal", like I'm refusing to accept the results, I think we caused it, etc. If you missed my first post about the topic, you should read it here.
Yesterday we met with a pediatric allergist to discuss his allergy in more detail. The doctor started the conversation by saying that these tests are not foolproof at all...nice. He then said that the tests only mean something if your child has had a reaction before. Um, ok..that's clear as mud.
He proceeded to tell us that he has seen children who tested at a 6 or above (like Ethan did) with no reaction when they actually ate peanuts and then those that went straight to the hospital. The problem with the test is that it only gives you an idea of how severe they may react, but it doesn't necessarily mean they will react severely. At a 6 (the highest they can go), chances are good the reaction will be more severe than someone who tested at a 1 or 2. In other words, he can't tell us for sure how he will react, but it's too dangerous to take any risks so avoid it at all costs.
He did say that he can't get sick from it being in the room and that people who say that they can have been misinformed. The protein in a peanut can not be airborne and even if it touched his skin, more than likely, he would only have an outward rash. It's the actual digestion of the protein that creates the severe reaction.
I inquired about my theory that we may have caused this "allergy" by not allowing him to have it over the past 2 years and he said it was quite possibly the reason his "allergy" doubled according to the test. He said there is new research out there indicating that we are causing the increase in allergy cases by withholding the allergens so long - I believe I said that in my original post a few weeks ago, yes? He said that only 20% of those that have peanut allergies tend to outgrow them and that it seems to be those that had tested lower (1 or 2) on the test. I suggested to him that it's probably because those who only tested a 1 or 2 didn't avoid the allergen, just like when you test a 1 or 2 for wheat, eggs or anything else and they eventually built an immunity to it. He just nodded and said, "maybe, but it's too dangerous for us to test this theory." Isn't the whole basis of vaccinations is to give your body small doses of the "virus" so your body can build immunities to them and familiarize your body with it so it will not overreact when exposed to the full virus? Why can't they give shots of peanut protein? I just don't get it.
The doctor was very polite and gave us some excellent sources of information and contact information to those testing out some of my theories at Duke University and at Mt. Sinai Hospital. He didn't disagree with any of my thoughts (at least not to my face) and said that the American Academy of Pediatrics have since retracted their original advice of withholding these types of allergens from kids for so long - but now that Ethan has had the reaction (by way of the blood test) and because he did vomit after eating only small amounts of peanut butter when he was an infant, it was still too risky to try. He recommended that we get more Epipens, never leave the house without them and then withhold all the common allergens from Lucas until he was 3...wait? Did he just say withhold them after the AAP is stating that we shouldn't do that any longer? Yeah, he said because Ethan has a "history" of allergies, we should. HUH?? Ugh.
So, we left with virtually no additional information other than he calmed our nerves a tiny bit that he probably won't die if it's in the house (I think we knew that since we have tons of it in the cupboard and my husband eats it all the time). He said we can keep feeding him everything else that we've always fed him if it hasn't bothered him before (yipee). And he said he should be fine eating at a restaurant (that's good cause we eat at one almost every week) because peanut oil will NOT cause a reaction because the oil doesn't actually have the peanut protein - the part he's allergic to - in it, it's only if a peanut should happen to get in his meal. But, then he told us to carry 2 Epipens at all times because one only lasts 8 mins and the ambulance might not get there that fast (might not? how about no chance in hell.) He said that if it was his kid, he would avoid it at all costs and wouldn't bother trying any of the tests. Yeah, well, that's him not me.
So today, I picked up my September 2010 Parenting magazine that I've been waiting to read all week. Guess what one of the articles is about? Yup. Food Allergies. It basically pointed out everything I noted in my theory in my post from a few weeks ago (if you didn't read it yet..click here) and that people are researching it as we speak. Come to find out, I'm not the only one out here who sees a link between what we've been doing (withholding the allergens) and the epidemic we've seem to have created ourselves. The article is a great read and has a lot more facts to back it up then my opinionated post.
Please read it when you get a moment: http://www.parenting.com/article/Baby/Health/truth-about-food-allergies.
So, what am I trying to say? Well, I'm fired up about this. I'm convinced we made this worse by withholding the peanuts. I wish we had seen an allergist when he only tested a 3 and gave him small amounts under their watch to see what happened. I believe in God, and while I know he can heal and perform miracles, I also understand that a peanut allergy is nothing to play around with. I have to take the test, as "useless" as it may actually be, for what it is. I have to be careful. The last thing I'm gonna do is pretend/believe we are immune to the allergy and put my child in harm's way. That's not gonna happen either. My faith ain't to that level yet and quite frankly, I'm not stupid. Not today, anyway. So what am I going to do? I have absolutely no idea. I may actually contact the doctor he recommended at Duke University. Or, I may wait to see if they come out with the shots they discuss in the article in Parenting. For now, I'm stewing over it. I'm praying over it. And honestly, trying not to think about it. Because the more paranoid I get, the more uncomfortable it will make Ethan. And I'm not ready for that. My poor baby thought he was going to get peanuts when he turned 4...and now he can't have them..yet. The cute kid asked the doctor yesterday "Well, can I at least have caffeine now?" He makes my day. I love him so much and I'll be damned if I just sit by and do nothing knowing my baby could be in harms way when a friend of his tries to share his lunch because of something I did. Not gonna happen.
Have any input? I'd love to hear it.
2 comments:
My daughter was diagnosed with a peanut allergy the summer she was five. We suspected she was allergic before then when eating a peanut butter cookie at 18 months caused her eyes to swell shut for days. While we should have seen an allergist before we did, I'm not sorry we waited. We avoided peanuts with her but I had no idea how catastrophic the whole thing could be. I think I was more equipped to deal with that at five than I was at one.
I think you have to be careful with how much time you spend second guessing yourself. Did I consume too many peanut products during pregnancy?(a theroy for a while) Was she allergic because I hadn't breastfed? (non-breastfed babies have more food allergies) Had we delayed intoduction too long? Should we have waited longer? The questions go on and on and they're maddening. The truth is, the experts still aren't sure on why numbers have risen so much, what causes the allergy and at 6 years post diagnosis, things just look different. Managing the allergy is no longer frightening or difficult. It's just a part of who our family and our daughter is.
My daughter, like your son, had a class six allergy. 100 on a scale of 100. Our allergist told us that the severity of the allergy, by blood, do not correlate to the severity of the reaction. And that has been our experince. Our daughter has had mild reactions that are easily controlled by benedryll the few times she's been accidentally exposed. We're lucky that we don't expect a surprise lethal reaction.
Like you, I'm hopeful that the new research may hold the key to a world free of concern over peanuts for my daughter.
I so related to this post since my son has a severe nut allergy since we found out when he less than 2 years old. He is now almost 5 and still as allergic as ever - he sits at the "allergy" table at school and we've had some really close calls.
I've blogged about two experiences if you wish to read:
http://www.thetamom.com/2009/09/mowing-the-lawn-and-a-blue-bunny/
http://www.thetamom.com/2009/11/mommy-bloggers-rockettes-and-rubber-stamps/
I too hope he will outgrow this!! It's scary - and welcome to TMC!!
Glad you joined us!
Post a Comment