Sunday, August 1, 2010

Posting Pictures - Need Opinion

I'm looking for some opinions on photo sharing. I realize I take way too many pictures and that at some point, I will need to face the fact that not everyone wants to see 25 pictures of the same pose - just slightly different - like I do.

I'm HORRIBLE at deleting pictures. Part of my issue is that I don't really know what I'm doing with the camera. And while, I understand the basics, it's certainly not something I have a "gift" for. That doesn't stop me from loving it, though. And in my love, I crave finding that "perfect" shot - EVERY time I pick up the camera. So I take a 100 pictures, of everything I do. My intent is good - that I will find the perfect picture and delete the others...but I don't. I intend on editing some really super cool ones and deleted the rest...but I don't. I get into Photoshop (something else I have apparently no "gift" for but also love) and find myself wondering how 2 hours have passed and I haven't saved a single photo edit yet because I'm not convinced what I've done to them made them better. So I reset the picture thinking I'll go back in a day or two and try again...but I don't.

Long story short, I have a godzillion pictures, many of which probably look very much the same to everyone but me (but I know I changed the mode on the camera in the middle of the shot to see which looks better..but I can't remember which shot was which mode so completely pointless - so you'd think I'd stop doing that.. but I don't).

So here's where I need your opinion. Which photosharing site do you think is best for sharing pictures and why? I used Ofoto for all of Ethan's pictures but the last few times I've tried to use them it's taken literally over an hour to upload 11-12 photos. At first I thought it was my photo size, but then I uploaded the same pics to Photobucket and it took less than a minute. I tried Adobe Photoshop but they seemed equally slow and I didn't like the organization of it. I tried Flickr which it seems is the most popular thing to do, but I tried to upload just our camping pictures and it told me I had exceeded my maximum storage before they were even half done. Am I doing something wrong?

I want to be able to easily email the pictures to those who don't get onto FB or blogging. But, I also want to easily share them on FB and even integrate them into my blog. How the heck do I create a slideshow if I'm not using Flickr??

I would love to hear your opinions and any tips you might have. I don't necessarily want to have to blog about each picture I take (trust me, you don't wanna see that many posts from either!!), but I'd like to share more photos than I am now.

Thanks for your feedback!!

2 comments:

Tabitha Blue said...

Seems like photobucket might be your best bet. I used it for a long time, and they do have some good ways to organize, create slideshows, email, and I don't think there is a limit for the free account. I use Flickr now and love it as well, but I pay for the pro account (which is pretty minimal, but if you're looking for a place to start you might not want to pay...). Hope it helps! Oh, I also have a mac account where I can upload to an online gallery, and friends can look, download or share... but I don't use that as much either.

:)

Rita said...

I love Shutterfly. They don't limit storage, it's free and easy to use. I do the same thing you do, take a million pictures with the good intent to delete duplicates and I never do. I love their photo books too.