Monday, October 4, 2010

Blogging With a Purpose

Over the past few months I've been thinking really hard about what "kind" of blogger I want to be. Until February of this year, I was new to blogging. Not only did I not have one, I had never read one either.

Originally, I got super excited about becoming a huge blogger and making money doing reviews, guest posts, selling advertising spots, affiliation fees, etc.. just like everyone does when they first start blogging.

I remember writing my first few posts and then waiting...waiting for a comment. Waiting for a follower. Waiting for someone to ask me to try that free Porsche and write a review for them. But nothing.

Then, I got my first follower. A good friend of mine who doesn't happen to have a blog signed up through GFC. I was so excited. You remember when you were a kid and someone finally picked you to play on their team? It felt kinda like that. If I had one follower that meant I was better than those who had none. That was something, right??

I began social-networking like mad. You know, how a person who had never heard of the term social-networking could do. I started joining communities. I started finding blogs I liked, seeing who they followed and leaving comments on those blogs. I opened a Twitter account. And I started tweeting...

I was sure everyone was hanging on my every word, except every time I asked a friend if they had read my latest post, I'd get that dead silence followed by a "um, no..not yet." My friends weren't reading. Well, most of them anyways. People reading blogs, are usually bloggers, I've found. The rest of the world just thinks we're crazy.

But, I kept pressing forward. I remember hitting 50 followers and screaming like I won the lottery. My husband, by the way, is not a blogger and therefore thinks I'm crazy. I'm at 66 followers as of the date of this post. I've got 157 followers on Twitter and 55 Facebook fans on my blog page. Only a handful of those did I know before I started this blog. I've met a lot of new people and I've got a lot of followers I'll never meet. In fact, a lot of them have never left a single comment or replied to a single tweet so I'm guessing our relationship probably won't bloom into anything substantial. It's hard to get to know someone who doesn't talk to you.

Here's where I'm going with all this ramble. I want to reach the world. I want to write and have others want to read what I write. I understand you need a "niche". I understand you need to "meet a need" before readers will commit to you. I get that. I just don't have a clue what my niche is.

Some days, I want to be that blog that shows you photography tips AS I learn them, because God knows I know squat about photography, but I'd love to learn.

Some days, I want to be that blog that makes you laugh and keeps readers coming back for a comedic relief in this stressful life.

Some days, I feel like writing about controversial topics like a female version of Hannity because I always have an opinion...I'm just usually too afraid to talk about it with strangers in person. My blog seems like the obvious outlet for an introvert like myself.

Some days, I feel like giving away prizes and writing reviews because that seems like the "blogging thing to do".

Some days, I wish I had awesome budgeting tips and coupon codes because I know so many, including myself, need that right now, but I don't have any.

Every day I think people will come back just to look at pictures of my kids because, well, they are freaking adorable and who wouldn't want to look at my kids?? See..





















But no matter what day it is, no matter what post I write, know this - I have a purpose. What my purpose is could vary from day to day but I will always say what's on my mind. I will always speak the truth, as I know it. And I will hold nothing back. Because I want to get to know you. I want you to get to know me. And I want you to come back.

So, kick your feet up. Grab a cup of coffee. And let's chat. What do you want wanna talk about?  

5 comments:

Tabitha Blue said...

Great photos, of course. They are so cute so how can the photos not be! And girl, I'm totally with you! I've been blogging longer, and I'm in the same place, so I think you're doing pretty well! It is funny, the little "world" that you discover only in blogging. And it's true, it's hard for others to understand I think. Great post though, I'm in the same boat... and that's what I write about, :)

~Tabitha

Jennifer said...

What a great post!

I started off like that too -- wanting to do reviews, giveaways, etc. But just recently I found that by doing all of that, I lost why I started blogging in the first place -- to write, to share about my girls, my life and other quirky things.

I found you through a link of a link and follow you through Facebook. I love reading your posts, seeing your pictures and just enjoy reading about you in general. Keep up the good work!

Gerri said...

Awwww, Look at those cuties. ;) I like the new blog look. ;)

spokenfor said...

Don't you just love the blogging world??? I never know from day to day what I'll be writing about either, but it's great to have such an outlet. I enjoy your blog and your writing style. The only bad thing about virtual world of blogging is it's not possible to sit down and and have a cup of coffee! Would love to have you head on over to my blog and join me for a cup!

Maureen said...

Hello from the Oink Tribe! This was a great post, it says a lot about what I am feeling as a rookie blogger, too! Some days I just stare at my page and wonder "What on earth do I write about?"

I've only had two whole comments on my blog, so don't feel bad! LOL

Keep on keepin' on!