Today's post comes from another fabulous prompt from MamaKat. If you want to participate in her weekly writer's workshop, click the logo above and join in.
The prompt I chose today asked what job would we never want to do and why. My first thought was everything you see on that show, Dirty Jobs with Mike. (Anyone else think he's cute??) Anyhoo..
But one job in particular came to mind because it was something I always thought would be the greatest job until I spoke to one that changed my view on it forever.
When you become pregnant, what's one of the first things you look forward to? Your ultrasound, right? You want to see your baby and you want to hear it's heartbeat. You want to know everything is okay. Because at that moment, it becomes just that-much-more-real, right? I agree. I remember counting down the days until my first one. I remember my stomach being all in knots, afraid of what I might see. I remember thinking maybe there won't be anything and it's all in my head - you know, being pregnant. Alas, the appointment comes and everything is how it should be and then you get anxious for the next ultrasound. The BIG one, where you find out what you're having.
I always thought that being an ultrasound tech for pregnant mothers would be a great job. How much fun showing people pictures of their babies. Letting them know what the sex would be. Pointing out all the fingers and toes...and putting that poor mama's mind at ease because I know how they feel. Wouldn't that be a great job? I used to think so too. But then one day I spoke to my ultrasound tech and I never thought of it the same again.
I remember sitting there certain I was going to pee my pants waiting for the ultrasound to begin to find out whether or not Lucas was a boy or girl. One of the most exciting and nerve-wracking appointments for me. The tech was saying that even though I drank all that water they make you drink, she was having a hard time finding the baby - apparently I was dehydrated, story of my life. I cried at the thought of waiting so much for this day only to have to go home and come back in a few weeks. My bladder finally started to fill and she found him. When she started pointing out all the body parts I just giggled and cried with joy. And then I made the most naive statement "He has legs and arms, yeah!"
Faith didn't say anything, which was unusual, and she just kept looking at all the angles of the baby. She made me nervous. Finally, she said she was done and all looked great. Whew. So why the silence? She said, "Now that we know everything is fine, I want to tell you why your comment struck a nerve with me today. So many mothers, like yourself, come in here looking for the basic limbs and they don't realize how much more we are looking for. I've had to tell people their babies don't have a brain, or that all their bones are broken, or they have no heart..."
I almost vomited. No brain?? I couldn't comprehend how that must feel to hear or to tell. It seems obvious, now, that of course not all appointments go well, and I knew that. But, I never imagined just how horrible they could be or thought about having to be the one to tell someone. She explained she used to work at another clinic where the mothers go if something "seemed out of place" during their normal ultrasound. She had to quit that job because of how hard it was to tell mother's and father's the horrible news and most of the news was horrible for those that were referred to her. The job was making her ill.
Could you imagine? What would you say? When they asked you why them, how would you respond? It was at that moment I silently thanked God, again, for my healthy baby and I prayed for those who will not hear good news during their visits. I also thanked God that I didn't know about all these "other" things that I could have worried about for 5 months until now. I know how emotional you are when you are pregnant and overwhelmed with concern to go from such a high to such a low... such heartbreak, ugh.
And for that reason, I would never, ever, want to be an ultrasound tech for pregnant women. And if any of you have ever had to go through this experience - either giving the news or receiving it, my heart goes out to you. And if your babies are fine, go hug them. Right now. Because you are blessed if you can....

8 comments:
I never even thought of this, but you are right. What a heartbreaking job that would be. God bless the ones who have to deliver such news!!
Off to hug my boys.
Stopping by from Mama Kats
I have a friend who lost a baby after discover his arms and legs didn't work among other problems. He passed away before his birth. I guess it happens all the time.
And then there are multiples you can't believe how closely they watch those!
I actually looked into that job a few weeks ago. I cannot imagine telling an excited pregnant woman that something was wrong with her baby.
That would be the worst job ever!
so sad...
close friends of ours found out at their 20 week US that their baby had no brain...
we were 15 weeks pregnant at the time, and I was so sick with fear at our anatomical US.
Thankfully everything was gerat - but you are so right - a tough job.
All I can do right now is cry... I feel like I'm staring at that screen all over again just waiting for the heartbeat to flicker, something. The silence, the deafening silence as the tech excuses herself. There was no heartbeat. She couldn't tell me... I was the fifth one that day. The doctor came in to give us the news... by that time, something we already knew.
Definitely not a job I would want.
But God is good, and I'm more in love with my two thriving healthy kids than I would have dreamed I could be. :)
~Tabitha
Some of us are blessed with strength to handle delicate jobs like theirs. I can just imagine the heartbreak they feel each time they see something wrong. Kudos to them!
This would be a difficult job when things aren't right. Any job that involves delivering bad news to people would be tough.
Stopping by from writer's workshop. Here's the link to mine if you get a chance to visit: http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2010/10/what-job-would-you-absolutely-never.html
It's ironic that you should post about this experience because I had a similar experience when I was pregnant with my seven year old. I kept thinking every time I had a sonogram how great being a sonogram tech was until something horrible happened to another woman at the OB/GYN. I was in the examination room when the nurse started closing all the doors of the rooms and asking us not to come out yet. When I asked her why she told me that one of the pregnant women was just told that her baby had no heart beat at seven months pregnant. They did not want all of the pregnant women getting checked to freak out from hearing her freak out so they tried to be discreet. I remember thinking to myself that the tech who had to break such horrible news to that poor woman had a terrible job...
Post a Comment