Thursday, June 10, 2010

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Mama

Hard wood floors. With two babies prone to puking, they have been a godsend. But they can also be very frustrating...

like when you are trying to sneak out of the room or back to bed after laying your baby down to sleep for the fifteenth time...at 3 a.m.

My husband laughs at me when I tell him what floorboards are best for 'escaping' and which ones are the loudest for best 'rocking'...but all jokes are off when I've been up since 3:17 a.m. like I was this morning. There is nothing funny about that - well, almost nothing.

Last night after probably the 4th attempt to put Lucas back down I realized I couldn't do this any longer. No, not that..waiting to go to the bathroom of course! So, I did one of my most famous moves - I spun around on one foot (you know, like they teach you to use your pivot foot in basketball) and I sort of leaped onto the bed crouching..avoiding some of the noisiest boards in the house. I climbed over my husband, unbeknown to him (because he is conveniently dead to the world) and landed ever so gently (like a Mission Impossible move) to the other side. Then, I stretch out my leg to get as close as possible to the wall (because floorboards rarely squeak right by the wall, fyi) and I take giant steps forward trying to land as few steps as possible..and then it hit me..

I must look like that crazy woman in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." I starting laughing hysterically, as much as one can laugh silently. Before I knew it, I had almost blew my "mission" by laughing so hard and quickly got to the restroom.

Reading this I'm certain you are not getting the visual that I am, although, hopefully you can see the humor in it. What I am certain of, is that you have done something very similar in order not to wake your sleeping child.

Please share - what have you done just so you wouldn't wake the baby?

6 comments:

ItRocks2BMom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

So true! I remember, with my first daughter, avoiding dishes for a week. Ok, maybe that was just an excuse. The thing is, Moms just want sleep. They want their kids to sleep so that they can have a moment (or two) to themselves!

Mom With A Pen said...

BTW... I couldn't figure out how to leave my name (for the above comment). I'm Mom With A Pen (www.momwithapen.com). Nice to "meet" you! (Found you through seededbuzz.)

Anonymous said...

Hi, "It Rocks"

This post is great! I've crawled on the floor to avoid my son seeing me... also stepping around trying to avoid the noisy spots. I wrote a couple of examples of this nonsense on my blog, http://daddydiscoveries.com.

Donovan

Jenn Erickson said...

I love the way you described these maternal acrobatic stunts!

It's incredible how physically and mentally limber parenthood makes us!

Spokenfor said...

Once, when our oldest was just a little thing, he had been up sick most of the night. We had finally gotten him asleep in time to catch a couple hours ourselves. When the alarm went off just 2 short hours later for my husband to get up and head to work, he flew out of bed to try to turn it off before it work the baby up. What he forgot was that I had moved a giant bookcase over right beside the bed the day before. In his half-asleep state he crashed head first into it at an amazing speed! It knocked him right back down onto the bed. I don't know which woke the baby up; the crashing sound or the sound of me laughing so hard I was snorting! That was almost 18 years ago and I can't even type this without laughing!