Figured it was time I finished up this blog before Father's Day became "old news". This year we took my son to his first baseball game. He was so excited about going and talked about it for weeks prior to the game. At first, he kept telling people he was going to go play baseball with the Tigers. We had to keep reminding him that he wasn't old enough to play he could only watch and when he got older he could try out. So, every time someone asked him about going to the game he would start rattling off how he could only watch this time, but when he gets like 40 or something (this seems to be the age he thinks life begins), he will play for the Tigers. I hope he does, if that is his dream, I hope he does whatever he wants to in life.
While he loved the concept of being there, sitting still for hours on end, is not really his "thing". But he sure did try hard.
He was so good...he made me so proud. I know it was Father's Day, but it sure felt like my day. When you are growing up and going to baseball games you dream about bringing your own kids there some day. It was one of those moments you just stand there and sigh with a huge smile on your face, almost as if you just put a checkmark next to something on your list of things to do in life. I love that Ethan is getting old enough to start reaching some of those types of milestones. I love that he can enjoy these moments and that he is old enough that some of these things will be memories he will remember when he gets older. I just love this kid with all my heart and did I mention I was so proud of him?? I swear he was the cutest kid there :)
He got a baseball bat that he held onto for the entire day.
He also got one of those Tiger claws made of foam. He wanted one from the moment he saw it and couldn't wait to have it. He spent all of his $10 spending cash...and a little of ours (can you believe that stupid thing cost $15!). But, he kept it on for almost the whole game. He was so proud of himself. He has played with it almost everyday since.
He kept asking if he could ride the ferris wheel and carousel - from the moment we sat down. We had promised him he could ride them. After standing in line for the carousel for over an hour, I think the excitement was starting to wear off. When we got to the ferris wheel line and they told us it would be almost a two-hour wait, my husband and I rolled our eyes and cringed. It was time we had a big boy talk with our boy. It went something like this: "Ethan, I know you really want to ride the ferris wheel and we told you that you could. But, they are telling us it will take almost 2 hours and if we wait here, we will miss the entire game. Would you rather ride the ferris wheel when the fair comes to our town, or do you want to wait here all day?" I had to throw in a little persuasive tone, but nothing too crazy. "If you want to, we will, it is up to you, but remember Papa is waiting for us to get back to our seats." A little more persuasion. He went with it. His response "Ok, mom. Let's do that." Done. Again, beaming with pride. He took the bad news like a little man. God, I love this boy.
I loved sharing this day with him and my wonderful husband and my father. It was the perfect Father's Day.
1 comment:
Looks like a great time! Gotta love those Tigers!
Post a Comment