Came across this article today warning McDonald's to stop giving toys in happy meals or some unhappy group is going to sue: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/3pi59a/www.momlogic.com/2010/06/mcdonalds_warned_drop_the_toys_or_get_sued.php/r:t
Sue? Over happy meal toys? Huh?? They say the toys are enticing children - yeah, you're right, because God knows I want nothing to do with those stupid Shrek toys that say the same thing over and over and over.. They say the toys make our jobs as parents too hard... did I hear a "boo, hoo, wahh??" I'm sorry folks, but I'm torn on this one. I think this is just another group trying to place blame for our obese society and poor eating habits on someone other than the people we should blame - ourselves.
Last time I went to McDonald's I recall my husband was driving, not my four year old. Why did we choose McD's? Not because my son made us do it. Not because we were sooo overwhelmed by the commercials for those super awesome "junk" toys (that usually get thrown away or recalled for lead paint). We went because we like the food, albeit greasy - just like a million other people. To be quite honest, I think their toys work as great "positive" reinforcement. How many times have you caught yourself saying "finish your food, and you can have your toy?"
Do I go to McDonald's because of their toys? Sure I do, sort of. I choose them over Halo Burger all the time because the kids only get a coloring book there - the same one every time, and have for years which my son hates or Taco Bell which does something similar (although who needs bribery to get your kids to eat T Bell, that stuff is awesome!) But did I choose fast food because McDonald's has a toy? No. Did I refuse to make dinner and go there because my kids "demanded" it? Nope. I went because chances are we were on a road trip, or in a hurry or because it just sounded good.
Am I saying I think McDonald's is healthy, not really - at least what I order isn't. But my son always gets apples & milk in his happy meal. He doesn't drink pop & he gets a FEW of my fries. I've always done it this way and he doesn't think twice about it. Is that really worse than making a frozen pizza at home filled with sodium and preservatives - doubt it. Truth is, most of us don't eat healthy everyday for every meal - most of us, I said. I know we don't. Sometimes it's just easier and when you are a parent of small children "easier" can become priceless.
If you want me to feed my kids healthier fast food, don't worry about taking the toys out of the happy meals. Make Subway have more drive-thrus. I hate getting the kids out of the car and hauling the infant carrier in just to stand in line to order a sandwich that you can't eat while driving..(Well, I'm saying you can't. You'd be amazed what I can do while driving, but I certainly can't promote that behavior). How many healthy fast-food restaurant choices do you know of? Can you name ANY within 10 miles of your house? How many of those actually have a drive-thru? Do they have a dollar menu?? Nuff said.
There are a ton of reasons people go to McDonald's besides the toys. Usually it's because we are looking for a quick bite that won't break the bank - the toy is just a bonus (because it keeps the kids occupied in the car till you get to your final destination). Don't sue McDonald's because they serve toys - that isn't what is making our kids fat. That's like saying I'm too skinny because of all the Jillian commercials on tv. It just isn't true (trust me, not even close).
We get the way we are because of the choices we make. For our kids, that means the choices we give them. If you can't tell your kid no to something he saw on tv because it's too hard, maybe you shouldn't have had kids. Hate to break it to you, but food isn't the only temptation that's thrown at them in a commercial. Parenting is a hard job and commercials will be one of your easier things in life to explain and get through. So, suck it up and say no if you have to.
Kid's aren't fat because of the toys in happy meals, it's because of the parents who drive them there everyday. I'm just sayin :)
5 comments:
Way to say it, mama! Too many people try to play the blame game, instead of looking at what they can do to change it. Don't sue... just don't go there, sigh.
Just like Fresh Mommy said!
You go girl! Kids don't get to McDonald's by themselves and like you, I don't see how they can blame it on toys.
Actually, if we happen to stop for fast food, it's most likely that we are out and getting late. We only go once or maybe twice in a couple weeks time. I don't even let me kids keep the toys to be honest. They just get thrown away anyway. :)
I look forward to reading more of your blog!
I totally agree with you. And I love your site. I'm new to this addiction as well. Come by for a visit!
I whole-heartedly concur!
Makes me wonder who's parenting who.
We all need to take responsibility for our own actions, including our ability (or lack thereof) to parent appropriately.
Stacy Simons, RN
Nutritionist & Health Coach
I think the toys in the Happy Meals make the parents overweight! The kids want the toys and the parents eat the leftover meals...:) Stopping by from the 31 DBBB Challenge.
Post a Comment