Tuesday, November 23, 2010
School Directories - Good Idea or Not?
A few weeks ago I picked up my son from preschool and was given a directory. A directory I had no recollection of asking for or giving permission to be in.
Inside the directory were the names of all the kids in all the preschool classes, for all the teachers. First and last names. And their parents names. And their home phone numbers. Their parents cell phone numbers. Their addresses. Their email addresses and last but not least, the name of their subdivisions in case you didn't know how to find that address.
I'll be honest, the first thing I actually noticed was that they spelled my son's last name wrong. Which, in turn, caused our email address to be incorrect as well. I was annoyed and that's when I began to wonder where the information came from that it was all incorrect. And I had no clue.
Come to find out on his first day of school I was sent home with paperwork to fill out and in that stack of papers where it asked for all the above information I apparently missed some sort of notation that it would be put into a directory for all to see. Not real happy with myself on this because rarely do I miss such important details.
I was confused by the directory. I couldn't imagine what the purpose would be or why in the world we would give out such sensitive information about our children...in print. With the number of child abductions and identify theft it seemed so foolish. So I asked his teacher the next day. Her response? It makes it easier for parents to arrange playdates. She said that she used it all the time when her kids were gone so she knew where to find her kids...*insert screaching brakes sound here* For real? You're telling me that when your kid goes to someone's house, you don't know how to get to the house or their parent's names or their phone number? Um, sorry, but I'm not buying it.
I realize my son is only 4 and he's my first so maybe I'm new to a few things. But, if I was going to let my son go with someone from school anywhere, I'm gonna know the parents at least a little. And if he's going to go someone's house? You can bet I would have already been there to visit to see just what the house was like (I'm talking safety, not status). And while I'm there dropping off my son? I'm gonna get your number. If my child isn't at your house, and isn't visiting with you - I don't need to know this information. And neither do you. Period.
I expressed my concern with his teacher and she seemed bewildered by it. What was the big idea? She tried comforting me in that only those kids who go to the schools got directories. Ok. So, the school ran the list of parents against the registered sex offender list, right? How about those people's immediate family members? Now that we know Amazon allows books on how to be a better pedophile out there why not hand them a directory showing where every little child lives so you can greet them in their front yard. I'm sorry, but the last thing I need to worry about is whether or not someone's going to call out to my son by first AND last name in his front yard and tell them that his mommy, (who he now has my name too and can use it for reference) told him to get in the car. How many 4 year olds might fall for that if the stranger knew where they lived, and knew their mom and dad's name? Probably more than a few. Because they wouldn't know any better.
So, here's my question for you today. Am I overreacting? Is this normal at your child's school? Have you ever had to reference a directory for reason's I'm not thinking of? I'm not saying we couldn't have a reference to the children in the class, and perhaps a phone number. But I think the information we were given all in one place seemed extreme. What do you think? Would you exclude yourself from the directory?
I love my boys more than anything on Earth and could not imagine someone taking them. I just can't help but think that this type of directory is foolish, asking for trouble and completely inappropriate for children this age.
Please, comment. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I don't think you are overreacting at all. But then again, I homeschool mainly for safety reasons.
The first preschool that my boys went to had one and I loved it- it was a great way to get in touch with the other parents- especially emails. Planning teacher gifts, parties, and playdates.
Since that school, we haven't had them and I miss them, honestly.
Our pre-school does an end of the school year directory that ONLY includes the children in YOUR class. Parents have to fill it in and sign a permission slip. The directory includes the child's name, mom & dad's first names, phone number or email (whichever you prefer). THAT I am comfortable with. And it was nice to have to arrange summer play dates. Giving home addresses and subdivision names -- NO FREAKIN' WAY! That is TOO much personal information being out out there for anyone to see. What if one parent happens to lose that book in a personal place? I mean, c'mon now.... common sense PLEASE!! The school should have NEVER snuck that permission form in there on you like that. UNREAL!
I wouldn't be o.k. with it either. I don't want that information given out so that strangers could get it. I may be sane, but Suzie's parents might be psycos
Yeah, that's a LOT of info out there. I don't think I'd be ok with that much either. Or at least having a permission slip for it on bright yellow paper or something so you know what you're getting into.
Post a Comment