I read an interesting article today about some who wanted to "rant" about how she was given a breastfeeding kit from the hospital and it contained formula. She says she is trying not to offend anyone with her article (although it is filled with slams against formula feeding), her opinion struck a nerve with me. A very sensitive nerve that I didn't think to write about until I realized my comment to her was gonna be a page long. So I decided to write this blog "in response" to hers and will share it with her as well as all of you. You can read the article yourself here, come to your own conclusions. I'd love to know your thoughts about this.
She says she feels society tries to force formula feeding on people. She also feels that there are people who think formula is just as good as breast milk. Funny.. I haven't met one. I happen to agree with her that breast milk is by far the best thing for your babies and that formula will never compare with the milk God intended your babies to thrive from. And for this reason, I will forever be saddened at the fact I wasn't able to breastfeed them.
The bottom line is that she feels judged. Ok, I get that. But, I got news for you, all moms feel judged. It has nothing to do with society as a whole, but rather those we choose to surround ourselves with. It has nothing to do with what we see everyday and everything to do with our minds only seeing what we want to see. It has nothing to do with someone trying to make us feel guilty and everything to do with us constantly seeking approval from others.
As mothers we constantly worry about whether or not we are doing everything right, that we are raising our children the way they should be, that they are nurtured and cared for as well as they should be - and whether or not they are taller than so-and-so, whether or not they learned their abc's faster, whether or not they crawled, walked, etc.. first. Truth is, we all want to succeed as mothers so we constantly compare our children to others and ourselves to various mothers to prove to ourselves we have done our jobs well.
She feels that society bombards her with formula feeding. Well, what if I told you that I feel society bombards me to breastfeed? Has she ever read a formula can? It says "Breastfeeding is best for your child" right on the can. Everyday, every 3 hours, I get to read that phrase...over and over and over. The books that Good Start sends me in the mail? The first page explains why breastfeeding is best for your child and then there is a nice paragraph that says "oh, but if you don't (as if it is always our choice) this formula will suffice. The books Similac sent me to determine what and how much you should feed your child - it gives you a whole chapter on how to breastfeed correctly - followed by if you don't..here's some of our formulas you can choose which are second-best. Says it right in the freakin formula book. You wanna talk about society forcing something down your throat? Try reading any parenting magazine, book, website or flyer. EVERY single one of them will have articles upon articles telling you why you should breastfeed. Why it's better for your children and if you don't they will likely spit up more, have allergies, more earaches, basically be miserable all because you CHOSE not to breastfeed them. Babies R Us has Breastfeeding 101 classes - when's the last time you saw a class on how to pick the right freaking bottle when there are 200 to choose from? Where's the class on what the hell to do when you've tried 12 formulas and your baby's still miserable and the doctor's tired of running tests and tells you to just "deal with it".. where's that class?
I'm sorry, but I CHOSE to breastfeed both of my boys - and neither of them agreed to that plan.
The writer states that there is basically no excuse - that every mother can do it and should ask a consultant for help and that will fix everything. I had two lactation consultants work with me for four days at the hospital day and night (because I was their challenge) trying to get Lucas to latch on. We had all kinds of equipment trying to change whatever they could to me, or help him learn. The hospital had a "no-pacifier" policy if you wanted to breastfeed and even helped the baby latch on immediately after my c-section. We worked so hard...so hard. It brings tears to my eyes every time I talk about it because I was SO determined to not fail at breastfeeding again after my first son couldn't/wouldn't do it either. I caught so much crap by way of comments that I didn't try hard enough for him, that I should have done this or that..maybe if I had done that he wouldn't have had colic so bad or acid reflux so bad..everyone has an opinion, everyone. I tried so hard not to get those comments again - because they hurt. They stung, and still do. People can be so mean.
The consultants finally said they just didn't think it was going to work. If I wanted to breastfeed, I would have to pump and feed. Well, Lucas was 9 lbs at birth (so was Ethan) and HUNGRY. If you can breastfeed all the time, your body will produce what you need. BUT, if your son is colicky and you have a husband that let's just say.."doesn't do babies", you have no way to set him down to pump. And just like the writer admits, it ain't the same when you're pumping..and it's not. You're hooked up to a machine. They tell you a picture of your baby will help you, well not if your baby is sitting right there screaming because you set him down. I got news for you, screaming - that kind of screaming, stops all milk flow. It is heart-wrenching and I've listened to it for almost 5 months now. I tried pumping. With all of my heart I tried - but it made me angry. It would literally nauseate me because it wasn't "right", it wasn't nursing, I wasn't bonding. I would get mad at God, at friends who could breastfeed, at myself, each and every time I tried to pump. And because my opportunities to pump weren't every 2 hours on the dot, my milk was not enough to feed him exclusively. We started supplementing and at 3 weeks, I finally stopped altogether.
I cried everyday for weeks, actually months. Yes, postpartum depression didn't help but I was bombarded by breastfeeding articles, commercials, people and even formula cans. I felt all of society was frowning upon me. I felt I let Lucas down and was a failure to him like I was to Ethan. All of those nursing bras, breast pads, breast cream, the double breast pump, those nursing pajamas.. all a complete waste of money. I felt completely stupid when people would ask me if I was breastfeeding. I didn't know what to say to them. No one wants the details, it's too much information, but if your answer was no, you got the "look" even before you got a chance to explain. I was completely and utterly miserable and it still makes me so jealous to see mothers sharing the ultimate bond with their babies like I so desired to do.
I still wonder if I could have done more, although I have no idea what. I'm sure I could have nursed every second I had someone else to hold Lucas, but I was exhausted like every new mother is - perhaps more because like I said, my husband doesn't "do babies". I was exhausted and tired of not producing but an ounce or two (just like the writer who breastfeeds was getting) when I knew he would need a five ounce bottle in 30 mins. I couldn't keep up - I tried.
So, I guess in summary, I want to say this to Welcome to Mommyhood. I'm sorry you felt bombarded about formula feeding, and I'm sorry you felt you were being judged for breastfeeding. But, can I just say that we are not all some sort of ignorant mass of women that doesn't get that breastmilk is best or some sort of feminist that doesn't want to be bothered by breastfeeding - not all of us CHOSE to formula feed. We already feel guilty enough. We are happy that you get to breastfeed. We are jealous of you. Maybe you should play nice. We all do our best and at the end of the day, it is what it is.
I decided about a month ago when my husband said to me "You're still crying about that?!?" that he was right. It was time to get over it, move on, and worry about what else I needed to do make sure my boys were raised in the best, loving home that I could provide. My four year old is just as smart (if not smarter), just as slim, just as active and just as healthy as the breastfed kids in his class - so I guess he survived - and so will my youngest.
Okay.. I feel better now that I have that off my chest (no pun intended) :)
Good night, everyone. Tomorrow will be a happier topic!
12 comments:
Hi,
Following from Fun Follow Friday. Hope you will visit me at www.bellaandgracies.blogspot.com
Thanks,
Karen
I'm following you from fun follow friday.
I agree with everything you wrote. I tried breastfeeding my son but it just wasn't meant to be and both of us were happier for switching to formula.
Sometimes you have to do what's best for YOU and the baby, unhappy mommy equals unhappy baby...just my 2 cents.
leenilee.blogspot.com
Breastfeeding doesn't work for everyone,,, I probably should have stopped long before I did (9 months in), my daughter was a lazy and terrible nurser and it caused MASSIVE stress for both of us,,, but believe it or not, I still wasn't ready to quit. It was my daughter that went on a complete nursing strike and forced me to stop (I still pumped for 3 months after, hoping that she would start again - but she didn't. Why did I do this?!? Because, I felt like a failure if I didn't nurse - yup, it's terrible! Society, the hospital, friends, other successful nursing parents all make you feel guilty if you don't nurse and it's TERRIBLE.
If I am fortunate enough to have another child, I won't feel so forced to nurse, because the experience with my daughter truly was painful for all of us...
Also wanted to say thanks for linking up on fun Follow Fridays!
Happy blogging,
Lynette
xo
http://myweeview.com
So many things we worry about as mom's. Just do the best you can and don't worry about all the advice! You sound like a good caring mom.
I'm from Fun Follow Friday! I'm following you. Will you drop by and follow me back?
http://songberries.blogspot.com
Following you for FFF - would love to see you at Dropped Stitches!
xo Erin
Thanks for the follow at Mom of all Trades! I'm following you back.
And wow.....I normally never read 'breastfeeding vs formula' posts because well - I'm a gung ho breastfeeder and my blood boils when I see the often written "formula is just as good" phrases. You're post taught me something. I have 7 children and have never read a formula can. After the birth of all 7 of them I got the diaper bags filled with formula, but instead of feeling like the formula companies were urging me to fail - I just donated the cans to the local women's shelter for abused women and their children. I couldn't imagine not being able to breastfeed, it would literally devastate me, and to then have to see 'breastfeeding' on everything I read, like you have - wow I couldn't even imagine the sting. My 6th child was born early and was in the NICU for 8 days, the first 3 days he was tube fed (breastmilk) and they wouldn't even let me Try to latch him on in fear that it would wear him out. I was soooo scared that because of this, he wouldn't breastfeed. But we got lucky and after a few days of trying in small spurts, he took to it :)
I am so sorry that breastfeeding did not work out with your boys, and even sorrier that everywhere you look you are made to feel like you failed.
Well said. I can agree with both of you here. It boils down to the fact that you BOTH want what it best for your baby. I think the pro-breastfeeding agenda is good, but is meant to target women who specifically choose not to breastfeed. I know a handful of women who formula-fed because of their own "disgust" in breastfeeding. (Their words, not mine.) If breastfeeding works, then great, if not, then use formula, but at least you gave it a shot. Formula was made for people in your situation. And, thank you for sharing your insight on this touchy topic. I now have a whole new perspective on this issue.
This is such a wonderful post, Jessica. I can't imagine that, and was so scared of not being able to breastfeed when Aliyah was born early and was in the nursery and they gave her bottles, and then was so relieved when she was still able to latch on. I've never really taken the time to read formula labels, and though I'm sure there are some that choose to formula feed, there are just as many (or more) that wish with all their might that they could.. and, like you said, then have to read about it every day. I'm so sorry it didn't work for you. But I know you and your boys, and they really are wonderful... and Ethan is ahead in so many ways. The formula didn't hurt him one little bit! Thanks for writing this and teaching your perspective :)
Great post! I'm so glad you are able to move on and realize it's not your fault. I had a similiar story and it's still painful to me. I wanted desperately to breastfeed...my body didn't accommodate. Anyone who says every woman can breastfeed if she wants to, has never had to deal with the pain of trying everything within their power and failing. No one should be judged for how they feed their babies because no one knows their story. I agree, breastmilk is best but thank god for formula...my baby would have starved! Thanks for being brave and sharing your story :)
hey there, new follower :) hope you stop by and follow me too http://www.everymomhasherday.com
So clearly I'm just meandering around your blog here. Hope you get this comment.
Two things.
1. Can NOT believe some of these comments that are just clearly...follow me, I looked at your blog. Really? Not even ONE bit of a comment that relates to your post? That's just lame!
2. I LOVED this post. I too could not really breast feed. And mine was not my childrens fault. Both of them latched on beautifully, I however just did not produce enough milk. I had to suplement with formula from the beginning with my daughter because she was NOT getting enough. We worked at it for 3 months and finally she just "told" me to shove it. Then when I had my son, I took suplements to try and increase my milk supply. I drank more water, I did whatever. And again...not so much. I had more, but it just still wasn't enough. I would pump, nurse, pump, etc. That said, I was FINE with doing formula. I think that it's there for a reason, and thank goodness it was. I don't understand breastfeeding women who are so nazi about it and judgmental. Guess what, like goes on without boob milk. And frankly, in the end, I was greatful not to be tied down to the demands of the boob. Now other people could feed my child, I didn't have to retreat to my bedroom and strip down to feed my kid (long story) and it just worked for me.
Ok, I'm done.
I ma new to your blog and just read this post. I AGREE with you 100%
I have been very lucky that both my boyZZ have done great with nursing, but I also understand this is not always the case!
I am a firm believer that you as a mom needs to do what is best for both YOU and baby! Being stressed out crying and feeling as though you failed ( which you did NOT!!! you have beautiful children...)is not what is best for you the Mama!
Good job for being a mom that cares so much and takes wonderful care of your children! You fed them and have kept them growing!!!!
Post a Comment