Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Camping 2010 (Short Version)

Ok, so I took notes during our first family camping trip knowing I would want to blog about it. What I didn't anticipate is that it would be over 4 pages long (in Word!) by the 2nd day. So, I'm going to spare you all the "fluff"(as best someone who talks as much as me can!) and just put out there the main points. Needless to say, it was quite the experience and we will cherish the memories forever.

Let me first explain before I start that this was our very first camping trip with my in-laws fifth wheel (this is as close to camping I was going to get with a 5 month old!). Since it was our first time, my in-laws thought it would be best to follow us to the campsite to make sure we got setup and didn't have any issues. My husband and his step-dad were riding in the truck pulling the camper, and myself, the kids and my mother-in-law were following behind. Some parts of the story wouldn't make sense without this lengthy clarification. Now, let the story begin!

We finished packing the van, buckled in the kids, turned the key. Discovered van battery was dead. Unpacked the van, unbuckled the kids, moved everything into SUV, rebuckled in kids, left - an hour late.

Got on eway, 20 mins in, blew a camper tire. Didn't have right jacks, 30 minutes later new tire on, back on eway.

I got off eway 45 minutes ahead of husband, got lost in Houghton Lake. Screaming baby did not appreciate bottle being late - let us all know.

Ate McDonald's. Left McDonald's, got lost again on way to campground. Screaming baby is pissed now, let us all know. Mother-in-law is going to cry if baby doesn't stop screaming..me & Ethan hum to ourselves to keep from going nuts.

Got to camp, super long lines to register. Baby going to pass out from screaming, held baby while sitting in driver's seat praying we move soon.

Got to campsite, husband bummed his lunch is cold cause I got lost. Oh well.

Camper setup, hot water heater not working. Step-dad insists on fixing, 90 degrees outside no idea why we need hot water. Fixes hot water heater 30 minutes later.

Discover sink faucet leaks. Kicks on water pump every 10 minutes. Sounds like jackhammer under bathroom floor. Should be great for naps, I think.

Discover power goes out every 30 minutes. In-laws say it's because we have too much on. Turn everything off but A/C. Still does it. Oh goody, it's 90 degrees outside. We decide to deal with it - microwave beeps on and off every 10 minutes. Good times.

Storms an hour after we get there. Stuck in camper, trying to watch movie, power keeps going out.

Discover fridge is getting WARMER. We might lose all our food. Call in-laws, tell us to switch to propane. They don't know how to tell when it runs out. We figure food will SMELL.

We turn water pump off to make it shut-up. Keep forgetting to turn it on to flush.

Rains everyday. Brings godzillion mosquitos. Apparently they live at campsite #76. They eat us alive WITH bug spray and citronella candles. Citronella candles suck. Bug spray stinks, unscented my you-know-what.

Lucas didn't sleep first night at all. Fed him bottle at 4am to put him to sleep. Can't wait for coffee..drooling as I make it. Coffee maker stops working. Nervous I won't make it through the day.

Sun was out every morning. Made it to the beach each day. Baby slept "like a baby" on beach blanket (thought he loved the beach).

Have to go to town to buy new spare camper tire (just in case). Discover Lucas has first fever (the real reason for sleeping on the beach). Baby with a fever and it's 90 degrees outside and you're in a camper where germs have no where to go but to each other. I'm certain this can't turn out good.

I stay back with baby. Husband takes older son. Baby naps from illness, I get to rest. Now, we have a vacation!

We put up netted tent. Mosquitoes get inside it. Pointless. Too hot to care. Go back inside. Husband buys fire wood - it doesn't burn. We burn enough newspaper and twigs to make s'mores.

Watch weather forecast. (also pointless) Says it will storm all day Thursday at lake, sunny at home. Decide we will leave early so older son can have more fun and baby can get better at home close to doctor.

We pack. Air is not working in truck (in-laws took SUV home). Baby with fever, no air. Yippee. Check out. Park says they will refund us for that night (surprise!!). Ranger says half the park without power (Glad we're leaving now). Can't wait to get home to sun.

Get on eway, blow another camper tire. Use spare we bought the day before. Sit in truck with screaming baby and no air. Starving, but don't wanna stop again for lunch.

Get home. Huge storm, so much for sun. Weatherman wrong, go figure.

Now let me tell you what did go right :) Lucas didn't make a peep while we switched cars, which is unlike him. He cried for the first 15 minutes, but slept the entire 2 and a half hours to the Houghton Lake exit, something he's never done. Even though it rained everyday, we were greeted with sunshine each morning and we motivated ourselves to get to the beach in time to enjoy every minute of it. Lucas was in the best mood he has ever been in since giving birth to him 5 months ago. Ethan was great considering naps were inconsistent. We didn't lose our food! Lucas slept the next 2 nights and even though he woke up super, duper early, he did so with a smile (how can you get mad at that!?!) Ethan slept through all of Lucas' screaming. My husband and I were able to laugh off all the "issues" and were still able to find time to enjoy each other's company. While Lucas screamed for 45 minutes on the way home, he didn't cry the entire trip, so I'll take that as a plus. Ethan was so excited his daddy was not going to work, and asked us everyday if he could stay home forever (so cute!). Lucas slept on the beach, albeit from illness, so I got to sit in the sun - something I don't get to do much these days. I didn't die from not having my coffee!

In summary, we got to go to the beach 3 times, which Ethan loved. Lucas took naps, and was in the best mood ever, which I loved. John didn't have to work, which he loved. Lucas got to feel the sand for the first time, which he loved. I got to show Ethan how to make his first s'mores, John got to take him for his first fishing trip, Ethan got to sleep in a bunk bed and everyone came home safe and sound...our first family camping trip might have been filled with unexpected surprises, but we had a blast and overall it was a success. Our determination to make this a good trip had worked and we can't wait to do it again. We were already planning our next trip on the way home.

And yes, I did say this was the short version. If you know me at all, there is no such thing as the short version when I talk or write..this was as short as I could get it, LOL :)

Here's a few of the memories we made:


2 comments:

EQUIPnTRIP said...

This is a great post Jessica. You endured a number of problems on your camping trip but took them in your stride and still found several enjoyable moments.

After all those problems it's great to see you planning your next trip.

It's funny how the things that go wrong on a camping trip tend to become the memories that are recounted as humorous stories in the future.

I look forward to your post about your next camping trip.

Allan McDonald @
EQUIPnTRIP

Marty said...

Love the pics...especially of your little one building a sand castle...and the shoes=) I've been wanting to take a pic of flip flops=)

Your blogfrog followfriday friend=)