A few weeks ago I read an article in a magazine about how one mother came up with this great idea: Buy composition books, or notebooks, or whatever suits your fancy for each of your children. Use one book for each child and write their name on the cover of it. Leave it on your counter or bookshelf - somewhere out in the open. Write in it.
What do you write, you ask? Anything and everything. If they say something funny, write it down. (Very helpful if you try to remember to tell your spouse about it at the end of the day and forget like I do.) If they do something funny, write it down. If they meet a new milestone, conquer a new fear or just figure something new out. If they exceptionally good or made you proud for something they did. Whatever floats your boat that day - write it down.
The idea is that it's not in a specific format. It doesn't need to be pretty. You can write your "post" in Sharpie for all we care. It can be messy, shorthand, whatever you'd like. It can be covered with coffee stains (which mine will inevitably be). It doesn't have to stay clean and nice like a baby book. You aren't conformed to whatever the pre-printed topics are in a baby book, either. Blogging is a great way to do this too - except you don't ALWAYS have the computer on. And, I've noticed that the kids whine less when you are writing something down - sitting at the computer is too obvious you are not paying attention to them so they tend to act up more.
I thought this was the greatest idea and right up my alley. Lately, my husband has been working a ton of hours which has made for some very long days. He hasn't been accessible to his phone either - so all those cute things the kids do or say I can't tell him the moment they happen like I used to. It was driving me nuts! This book will help with that. I don't have to make an entry everyday, and if I forget to write in it like a journal, it doesn't matter. It's just there if I need it to be, when I need it. And now I can share those moments with my husband whenever he has a moment instead of running off at the mouth for 30 minutes without a breath when he gets home in fear I'll forget something... ok, I might still do that, but at least it won't all have to be about what the kids did.
The article also made a point to state that it didn't matter when you started it - so if you just had a baby or if your kids are tweens, it doesn't matter. She also gave examples of how it isn't just when they are super little that count either. They might tell their first joke, or maybe win their first soccer game. Whatever the special occasion, just jot it down. Because one day, when they are all grown and out of your house....they will be the best books you could ever read.
I just started mine yesterday. Now is a great time to stock up on composition books/notebooks because of all the back-to-school sales. Got mine for a quarter a piece. WAY cheaper than the baby book I never think to get out (because I don't want it to get dirty!).
I thought this was just the cutest idea, so I thought I would pass it on.
Enjoy!
5 comments:
What a cute idea! I find myself right stuff down on pieces of random paper. I do blog about some of it but you forget some of it! Love your blog!
Peaceful wishes,
Melissa
i love this idea. i find myself using my blog as austin's baby book. even though it's just on the other side of the room. lol i'm going to do this from now on. thanks!
Great idea! I'm a new follower from FFF! I hope you can stop by and return the follow :)
http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/
Following you from the blog hop! It's great to "meet" you; cute blog!
Stop by & enter my current giveaways at http://www.giveawaysformom.com/
Happy Friday :)
What a great idea!! I'll definitely keep that in mind when I have my own kids!!
Post a Comment