Monday, September 27, 2010

I Know We Can Be Nutty..But Come On.

On Friday, I heard some girls getting off the bus down the street from my home shrieking. Kids make noise all the time, but they were screaming. Ethan and I went to the front door to see what all the commotion was about. There were 4 or 5 girls standing in the street screaming at a squirrel. One of the squirrels was running TOWARDS the girls. Yes, you heard me right. The squirrel was running TO them, not AWAY from them. I thought to myself, "Hmm. Well, that's not right."

We went about our day and I forgot all about it. Later that afternoon, I decided to take the boys outside to play. Ethan was riding his bike and I put Lucas in his exersaucer in the grass. In the shade. Right by a tree. Yup, you see where this is going.

A few  moments later I notice a baby squirrel in another tree and think to myself, "I wonder if that's the psycho squirrel. He doesn't look rabid..." The squirrel then jumped from that tree to the one we were sitting under. He came half way down the trunk and starting "talking" to us..and getting closer. I grabbed Lucas and told Ethan let's go play in the back yard.

I told my husband the story and he insisted it was a chipmunk and basically blew off my story as having any importance at all - he thought I was a fruitloop, if you didn't catch my drift there.

Sunday, we had some guests over to watch the game and enjoy some dinner. Upon arriving, they were greeted with...guess who... yeah, a baby squirrel. The squirrel came up to my front door and did this little hopping dance. He was begging for food...and trying to get in. We laughed at it's dance until I started thinking about how I was going to be trapped in the house cause of this psycho squirrel. And then.. it jumped onto the screen! My husband poked at it, and he still didn't get down. It was almost as if he wanted to play like a puppy. He would even cock his head and look at you like one. NOT cool.

Don't believe me? See for yourself..




We think their mother is down the street...well, in the street to be exact. I don't think they know how to feed themselves even though, ironically, they are surrounded by nut trees (the reason we have so many freaking animals at our house.) So, now tell me. What would you do? Would you get a live trap? Would you feed them? Would you stay inside until they left? What if they get in my garage and I don't know they are in there and they get in my cars or house? OMG?!? Please, tell me, what would you do.

1 comment:

Spokenfor said...

O. M. Goodness! I'd let someone know if I were you. Squirrels can get rabies. I was sitting in the garage yesterday (hiding while I smoked a cigarette!lol) when all of a sudden 2 of them came running down the drive and right into the garage. I started screaming, something really smart like, "aaahh get out of my garage!". They ran out, but 5 minutes later one of them ran back in and ran straight towards me. He/she/it stopped about 2 feet from me when I started screaming at it again and then ran off. really freaked me out. I hope it's not some global "when squirrels attack" thing. Let us know what happens. In the meantime, don't leave your house without a BB gun, or a big rock, or a really large stick. You get my drift.
P.S. on the upside, squirrel hats are coming back. I'm just saying....