Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hi My Name is ____ and I'm Broke

I figure there are probably quite a few of us that could insert our name in that blank today. I know I sure can. For those of you who don't know, I became a SAHM for the first time in April after the end of my maternity leave for our second child. It was by far the hardest decision I've ever made. I knew it would leave us financially "strapped" like we've never been before, but I guess I was hoping it wouldn't bother me like it does. But it does bother me. Alot.

You always hear about those moms that say they don't miss the "things". That you get used to it. That the kids don't need "stuff". The only thing I can think is that those people either never had the "stuff" or maybe I just haven't been at this long enough. Cause right now, it sucks.

My son still asks everyday if we could just go get more money out of the bank. He doesn't understand why we can't go shopping everyday now that mom is home. He doesn't understand why he no longer gets a hot wheel at the blink of an eye. $.97 adds up when you're broke..

This week I had to turn down a girls night out to the movies because I don't have $8 to spend because we just got a surprise $38 bill for Ethan's bloodwork in the mail the same day we got a letter stating that my husband's student loan payment is doubling because THEY calculated something wrong. I had to turn down a birthday dinner invite, because I didn't have any money to buy her a birthday present and it's just not right to go to the dinner without one. I had to put back an awesome birthday present for a friend's daughter because I just can't justify the expense even though the thrill on her face when she opened it would have given me great pleasure for days. And I can't buy my husband the truck of his dreams, because well, we don't have money for that either. Even if it is used and has 114k miles on it. I can't buy groceries next week to pay to go to my best friends bachelorette party which is at a spa. Could I not go, sure. But she's only gonna get married once. And I would never forgive myself.

Like I said, I knew that times would be rough. Oil changes would have to come from the savings..if that gives you any idea of how close it would be. But my long commute meant I would now have to split that hour a day I got with one child with two and I just couldn't figure out how that would be possible or worth it. I made pretty good money and leaving that job meant cutting our income almost in half. We weighed the pros and cons and when they reneged on going part-time like they said they would at the last minute, I knew this wasn't the place I was supposed to be. So I quit. And gulped. Hard.

I decided to start a blog after my second son was born because I loved the idea of an online journal and an awesome way to share our adventures with family. I quickly found the blogosphere I had no idea about. Then, I began learning about ways you can make money. I couldn't help but be intrigued.

So here I am. I love writing and talking about my kids. LOVE it. So I write. It's therapy for me and I love to think others enjoy seeing pictures of my handsome boys. I hope my readers can relate to some of the issues I go through as well as the adventures. I love getting comments from my readers because it makes me feel appreciated - and any mom knows what it's like not to feel appreciated at times. (Comments have been down, by the way..what gives?!?) But truth is, I also need money. What better way to make money than doing something you love?? So, I'm trying some things.

Here's what I've figured out so far in just perusing through other sites.

1) Affiliation links look to be a great way to make money. However, I want it to be a product I 100% believe in and I haven't found the right one yet. I also found a sight that connects you with companies looking to pay you to post their products for a monthly fee. But if you are broke like me, I'm not ready to jump into another monthly payment.

2) I added an Amazon store link. It works great, except a lot of blogs have it and I'm not sure how to get people to go to mine versus someone elses. I've made $0 since it started 2 months ago. Also, I chose 3 categories to bring up when they go to the store, and it only shows one. I've logged into my account numerous times and can't find where you can revise that yet. If anyone knows, email me.

3) I added the Swag Bucks link. If someone signs up and starts making swag bucks, you get a percentage of what they buy, I believe. That's also brought in nothing so far. But it's only been on there a week or so.

4) I added a Sponsored Tweets link both for companies that want something tweeted and those that want to make money tweeting. I've made $5.00 in 3 weeks. The most money I've made in 6 months.

5) I added AdSense. Really easy to do with Blogger. Great idea, but again, no money since February.

I do believe in the potential of the items I've added, but I also realize you're gonna need a lot of traffic to get a fair amount to click on your blog. And chances are, most of those "clicks" are not gonna come from fellow bloggers - cause they all have one too. So, networking is key. You probably already knew that, but I'm just sayin. If you don't, you won't make any money. I will post a blog soon about ways I've found to increase your traffic so far.

Over the next few months I'm going to do my best to continue to increase traffic, research more ways to monetize my blog and try those different methods out. I will share everything I learn along the way to hopefully save you time. And if you have any tips or advice, feel free to comment here so we can all learn together. Because, after all, isn't that why we are all here - to support each other! :)

8 comments:

Kari said...

Hi! I am a new follower from the Market Mommies Group. I hope you can stop by and visit my blog.

Have a great day!

Kari
http://shining2save.com

Allyson & Jere said...

All I can say to this post is....AMEN!!! That entire beginning part is my life. And not having any money SUCKS!! I haven't tried any money making things on the blog, but that is mostly because I'm too lazy and or stupid to figure that out.

Anyway...good luck to you on increasing traffic and making it work for you.

Unknown said...

We've been strapped lately, too -- a huge change and something I didn't think I'd really ever have to deal with. And you're right. It totally sucks. For me, one of the most frustrating things is going through daily life and trying to save nickels, and then ultimately being crushed under a mortgage that can never be helped by that behavior anyway. So it's all really fruitless. Anyway, I hear you:). Take care.

Tabitha Blue said...

Hey girl, I certainly hope you don't feel like you're alone in this. It's a season, a season that we all go through. I believe you'll find a groove and something to help without taking you away from your boys. It's a hard decision to make, but I'm sure if you were at work, you'd be thinking about all the moments you'd be missing out on with your little guys. LOVE you!!

~Tab

Rita said...

Excellent post! I felt like I was reading about my soon to be life. I am about to have our second son and plan on staying home with them after. I never thought I would but I don't want to have them in daycare which is way too expensive in soCal to justify being away from them. We will be losing half of our income too because I make a little more than my husband. I am terrified.


I also am trying to figure out the best way to monetize my blog but I don't think affiliate ads work for mom bloggers. I have come to the conclusion that I should focus on getting someone to pay for ad space but for that to work I must bring up my numbers before doing anything.

I guess it just takes time and when you are broke it doesn't come fast enough. Good luck to both of us. ;)

Angie said...

I can relate! I do some freelancing but it doesn't seem to add up to enough to help with bills, so I have my eye on monetizing my blog. I'm a mom too (I have a 2-yr-old) and you can always go back to work, but you'll never have that time back with your little ones.

Your blog is pretty cool btw, and I love how honest you are.

Blog Angel a.k.a. Joella said...

Great and very candid post on how you are going about monetizing your blog.

I'm really thrilled that you submitted it to the Blogs With Wings Blog Carnival. Hope you can muster up another great submission for our next edition to be published on October 4th/10.

Karyn Climans said...

No matter how broke you are, you need to keep going out and meeting up with friends. Your friends won't care about birthday gifts, food contributions etc. They just want your company. Your friends are your lifeline right now and they won't understand if you cut them out of your life. Even your kids will adjust but it will take time. It's true that we can live on very little but you're going from one extreme to the other in a short time. Hang in there ... happy days will come again.
I'm here from Bloggy Moms.